Windows 2000 server migration to Windows 2003 server RRS feed

• 問題

• Hello,

I have a Windows 2000 server, joined to a domain(Not a domain controller), there are many shared folders with different permission assigned.  May I know how can I migrate it to a Windows 2003 server?

Can I have the same computer name as the old server, and migrate all shared folders and persmissions to it?  How can I do that?

Thanks,
    Patrick
    2009年3月24日 上午 08:30

解答

• Dear Customer,

Based on my research since receiving your post, here I provide some suggestions to resolve this issue:

On Source Server:
    =================
    1- First, bring the server off the network to avoid further changes on the file shares. Then using the NTbackup or any other third party backup solution you can backup the data on D: partition and E: partition along with its NTFS permissions.

2- On the Source Windows 2000 server, locate the following Registry subkey in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
    a. Make sure that all the share definitions are correct.
    b. From the Registry menu, select Save Key.
    c. Save the key definition as Shares.key.

Don’t bring the server online again.

On Target Server: (Can be the same name as source server or different name but must be member of the same domain).
    ==================
    1- Using the NTbackup you can restore the data along with its NTFS permissions. While restoring the backup use Restore Files to "Alternate Location" in the Advanced properties. (If you wish to restore both partition data at a single partition). Ensure "Restore Security Settings" is selected while restoring.

You can also use the “robocoby /sec” or the “xcopy /o” to copy the files with their NTFS permissions.

For the shared folders configuration (and their sharing security permissions as well), you can copy the shared folders’ configuration from the old server to the
    new server:
    2. For the shared folders configuration (and their sharing security permissions as well), On the target server in Control Panel Services, select the Server service.
    Click Stop.

3. On the Destination Server,Open registry editor using regedit.exe tool and locate the following Registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
    a. From the Registry menu, select Restore and specify the key file “Shares.key” created from the production file server.
    4. Check HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares registry to ensure all shares are pointing to the correct partition. If you don't want to do this manual operation, then you must have same partition and restore the data in the correct partition before importing the registry.
    5. In Control Panel Services, select the Server service. Click Start and then click Close.

Test shares connectivity to ensure it all works.

I strongly suggest that you test the above plan in a test environment before performing it into the production environment.

Note that for both shared folders security and the NTFS permissions, the solution is applicable only if you’re using the domain based groups for assigning
    permissions to users(not the local groups).

For your reference, have a look on the knowledge base articles:
    125996 Saving and restoring existing Windows shares
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=125996

141589 How to Restore Share Definitions To Another Server
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=141589>

Alternate method could be using The File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) that provides several tools that simplify the consolidation process and minimize the
    impact of consolidation on users.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.mspx>

Hope the above information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    2009年3月24日 上午 10:19
    版主
  • Hi,

There have few questions:

1. You have a Windows 2000 domain controller and a windows 2000 file server, you build a new domain? How about the users? How they goes to the new domain?

If you are using ADMT, you can migrate the SID from source domain to target domain, then when you migrate the file server, you can also using ADMT to migrate the user account. Then all the credential will be retain.

ADMT information can be found at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D99EF770-3BBB-4B9E-A8BC-01E9F7EF7342&displaylang=en
    2009年3月28日 下午 01:19

所有回覆

• Dear Customer,

Based on my research since receiving your post, here I provide some suggestions to resolve this issue:

On Source Server:
    =================
    1- First, bring the server off the network to avoid further changes on the file shares. Then using the NTbackup or any other third party backup solution you can backup the data on D: partition and E: partition along with its NTFS permissions.

2- On the Source Windows 2000 server, locate the following Registry subkey in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHIN\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
    a. Make sure that all the share definitions are correct.
    b. From the Registry menu, select Save Key.
    c. Save the key definition as Shares.key.

Don’t bring the server online again.

On Target Server: (Can be the same name as source server or different name but must be member of the same domain).
    ==================
    1- Using the NTbackup you can restore the data along with its NTFS permissions. While restoring the backup use Restore Files to "Alternate Location" in the Advanced properties. (If you wish to restore both partition data at a single partition). Ensure "Restore Security Settings" is selected while restoring.

You can also use the “robocoby /sec” or the “xcopy /o” to copy the files with their NTFS permissions.

For the shared folders configuration (and their sharing security permissions as well), you can copy the shared folders’ configuration from the old server to the
    new server:
    2. For the shared folders configuration (and their sharing security permissions as well), On the target server in Control Panel Services, select the Server service.
    Click Stop.

3. On the Destination Server,Open registry editor using regedit.exe tool and locate the following Registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares
    a. From the Registry menu, select Restore and specify the key file “Shares.key” created from the production file server.
    4. Check HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Shares registry to ensure all shares are pointing to the correct partition. If you don't want to do this manual operation, then you must have same partition and restore the data in the correct partition before importing the registry.
    5. In Control Panel Services, select the Server service. Click Start and then click Close.

Test shares connectivity to ensure it all works.

I strongly suggest that you test the above plan in a test environment before performing it into the production environment.

Note that for both shared folders security and the NTFS permissions, the solution is applicable only if you’re using the domain based groups for assigning
    permissions to users(not the local groups).

For your reference, have a look on the knowledge base articles:
    125996 Saving and restoring existing Windows shares
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=125996

141589 How to Restore Share Definitions To Another Server
    <http://support.microsoft.com/?id=141589>

Alternate method could be using The File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT) that provides several tools that simplify the consolidation process and minimize the
    impact of consolidation on users.
    <http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/upgrading/nt4/tooldocs/msfsc.mspx>

Hope the above information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    2009年3月24日 上午 10:19
    版主
  • Thanks for your information, so then I need to join the new server to our existing domain, then all the permission restored can be recognised as the domain user list can be found again?

So how about the computer name ID and the administrator SID?   Since they are already different as the server is installed from scratch.

Thx again.
    2009年3月24日 上午 10:32
  • Hi,

There have few questions:

1. You have a Windows 2000 domain controller and a windows 2000 file server, you build a new domain? How about the users? How they goes to the new domain?

If you are using ADMT, you can migrate the SID from source domain to target domain, then when you migrate the file server, you can also using ADMT to migrate the user account. Then all the credential will be retain.

ADMT information can be found at:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D99EF770-3BBB-4B9E-A8BC-01E9F7EF7342&displaylang=en
    2009年3月28日 下午 01:19