none
SBS03 disk level defragment at Exchange database drive RRS feed

• 問題

• Hello!  My environment is a SBS03 Server.

Total 24 Sql databases are placed at drive E with Exchange database and the huge shared files as below.

1. Shared files                240 GB
    2. Exchange databases      63 GB
    3. Sql databases               19 GB

This drive E and another drive D run under RAID 5.  At present, drive D holds a small amount of shared files and Exchange log files. 

I am planning to do the followings:
    1. Have the disk defragment at drive D.
    2. Move all the Sql databases from drive E to drive D.
    3. Run the disk defragment at drive E. 

I want to know if there is any risk and problem at forcing the disk defragment at Exchange database drive.
    1. Does Exchange Server go on receiving and sending emails, as the log files' drive is not affected?
    2. Do I need to disable circle logging for safe, as I do not know how long it takes?
    3. Does Exchange database go normally on working, after the disk defragment?
        It is because the free space is only up to 11.17%.  I plan to force the disk defragment in command.

Please help. 

2010年6月1日 上午 04:18

解答

• The disk defragmentation process rearranges the data that is stored on the computer's hard disks so that the files are more contiguous. Defragmentation helps increase data access and retrieval speed. When you defragment your hard disks, you can increase disk performance and help the servers in your organization run more smoothly and efficiently.

You can use the Eseutil utility to defragment the information store and directory in Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and to defragment the information store in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. The utility can run on one database at a time from the command line.

If you run regular disk defragmentation on an Exchange computer, you should do it during off-hours and preferably with Exchange databases stopped. Disk defragmentation is a very I/O intensive process. Therefore, the Exchange database engine could have difficulty accessing the hard drives in a timely manner.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804

Normally, The exchange database drive would run the Exchange defragmentation. The disk defragmentation would not reduce the Exchange database size. it is necessary running Exchange database offline defragmentation.

2010年6月7日 上午 04:50

所有回覆

• The disk defragmentation process rearranges the data that is stored on the computer's hard disks so that the files are more contiguous. Defragmentation helps increase data access and retrieval speed. When you defragment your hard disks, you can increase disk performance and help the servers in your organization run more smoothly and efficiently.

You can use the Eseutil utility to defragment the information store and directory in Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5 and to defragment the information store in Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server and in Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. The utility can run on one database at a time from the command line.

If you run regular disk defragmentation on an Exchange computer, you should do it during off-hours and preferably with Exchange databases stopped. Disk defragmentation is a very I/O intensive process. Therefore, the Exchange database engine could have difficulty accessing the hard drives in a timely manner.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328804

Normally, The exchange database drive would run the Exchange defragmentation. The disk defragmentation would not reduce the Exchange database size. it is necessary running Exchange database offline defragmentation.

2010年6月7日 上午 04:50
  • Thanks!
    2010年6月7日 下午 12:12