none
Exchange Server 2003 pagefile size RRS feed

• 問題

• 你好,

我有台Windows Server 2003 /w SP1 server 安裝了Exchange 2003 server /w SP2, server memory 是768M, 而在Task Manager 顯示已用memory 已達2.7GB 和我已check 了那個pagefile 的大小也是2.8GB了, 近來那個pagefile size 大概每兩星期就澎漲數十個MB, 請問有什么方法可以令它減少呢? Thanks...

Edmond.

2009年1月12日 上午 09:39

解答

•  

您好!

在Exchange 2003 中,存儲進程被綁定在某個特定的內存緩存值。該限制的上限通常為900MB左右。該限制可以增加為了幫助以後的恢複,但是對于的操作,該限制大約為900MB。這是由于32 位操作系統的虛擬內存限制,它限制虛擬地址空間最大到4GB。缺省的設置為內核模式或操作系統分配2GB 的虛擬地址,其他的2GB為應用程序模式,它可以被象Exchange 這樣的應用程序使用。/3GB 開關能夠被添加到boot.ini 文件來將缺省分配更改為內核模式1GB,3GB為應用程序模式。

請檢查您是否啓用了/3GB開關。

有關如何優化Exchange Server 2003 中的內存使用的詳細信息,請參考下面的鏈接:

如何優化 Exchange Server 2003 中的內存使用
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=815372

如何修改 Exchange 2000 Server 中的存儲數據庫最大緩存大小
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266768/

Rock Wang - MSFT

2009年1月13日 上午 03:10
    版主
  •  Edmond Tam wrote:

I already not reboot the server and not update windows 10 months. Because the SMTP service need to manually startup when last update.

If I manually setup the virtual memory (Initial Size: 768MB and Maximum Size: 2048) and reboot server after, the pagefile size can drop down or not? Thanks...

Edmond.

The answer is "yes", the page file size will drop, but it doesn't means that the problem can go away.

I am personally not trying to recommend you to decrease the page file size manually.  Actually, the manual option is used under the assumption that you have calculated the pagefile size the system is required, and entered into it to avoid the system adjusting it automatically, not to reduce it to an "insufficient" level... a very simple situation you can imagine: if you have insufficient physical memory, and your page file is not big enough, then what will happen when you need to execute a program that is having a memory footprint exceeding the sum of RAM+pagefile?

If you just want to reduce the pagefile size, your solution will work.  But the drawback penalty can be large.

To adjust the root problem, I still suggest not to make any assumption, and find out why the page file is increasing over time.  It may or may not be an Exchange problem.  For example, you can use performance monitor to capture system memory information via per interval (15-minutes snapshots for example), over a long period (e.g.1 month) to see what can inspire you and lead you to the root cause.

2009年1月17日 下午 06:05

所有回覆

•  

Add more RAM!

768MB is really not enough for a exchange server...

2009年1月13日 上午 02:35
  •  

您好!

在Exchange 2003 中,存儲進程被綁定在某個特定的內存緩存值。該限制的上限通常為900MB左右。該限制可以增加為了幫助以後的恢複,但是對于的操作,該限制大約為900MB。這是由于32 位操作系統的虛擬內存限制,它限制虛擬地址空間最大到4GB。缺省的設置為內核模式或操作系統分配2GB 的虛擬地址,其他的2GB為應用程序模式,它可以被象Exchange 這樣的應用程序使用。/3GB 開關能夠被添加到boot.ini 文件來將缺省分配更改為內核模式1GB,3GB為應用程序模式。

請檢查您是否啓用了/3GB開關。

有關如何優化Exchange Server 2003 中的內存使用的詳細信息,請參考下面的鏈接:

如何優化 Exchange Server 2003 中的內存使用
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=815372

如何修改 Exchange 2000 Server 中的存儲數據庫最大緩存大小
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266768/

Rock Wang - MSFT

2009年1月13日 上午 03:10
    版主
  •  Edmond Tam wrote:

你好,

我有台Windows Server 2003 /w SP1 server 安裝了Exchange 2003 server /w SP2, server memory 是768M, 而在Task Manager 顯示已用memory 已達2.7GB 和我已check 了那個pagefile 的大小也是2.8GB了, 近來那個pagefile size 大概每兩星期就澎漲數十個MB, 請問有什么方法可以令它減少呢? Thanks...

Edmond.

Did you every try rebooting your exchange as planned outage, after rebooting, let it stablize, and see whether the page file is still as big as before?  I just afraid other application is causing memory leak and dragging the page file large.  In fact, if your Exchange is using memory around 2.7GB, it's time for you to think of Exchange 2007 on x64, or splitting another Exchange 2003 to offload.

2009年1月14日 上午 03:51
  • I already not reboot the server and not update windows 10 months. Because the SMTP service need to manually startup when last update.

If I manually setup the virtual memory (Initial Size: 768MB and Maximum Size: 2048) and reboot server after, the pagefile size can drop down or not? Thanks...

Edmond.

2009年1月14日 上午 08:08
  •  

Dear customer:

Please check whether you enable 3GB switch in boot.ini file, if you enable it, remove /3GB and /userva=3030 from the boot.ini. And then reboot the Exchange server to check the effect.

1.         Also, please download and install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 on a client computer from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&DisplayLang=en

Note: If you have already installed Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1, skip this step.

2.         Download and install Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DBAB201F-4BEE-4943-AC22-E2DDBD258DF3&displaylang=en

3.         Log on the computer as Domain Administrator.

4.         Click Start, and then click Run.

5.         In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

6.         In the command window, locate the directory where Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool is installed. By default, the directory is C:\Program Files\ExBPA.

7.         Type exbpacmd.exe in the command line; and ExBPA begins to examine the server deployment and configuration.

8.         Wait until ExBPA finishes its examination and shows you the directory where the output xml and log files are located.

9.         Copy the output xml and log files from the locations shown on the screen and send it to v-rocwan@microsoft.com.

Note: when you send e-mail to me, please let me know the URL of the post.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2009年1月14日 上午 08:37
    版主
  • Exchange "store.exe" service will consume more and more memory if you long time no reboot server.  This is Exchange behavior.  If Exchange is work fine, no performance down grade.  You no need to reboot server.

BTW, you can restart "Exchange Imformation Store" service to free-up memory, no need to reboot server.  And you can adjust Virtual Memory to ~1,152MB (1.5 times of physical memory).  Also, you can add memory to improve system performance and solve SMTP service startup issue.  1GB or 2GB memory is fine for your system (assume 20 - 30 users connect to Exchange, and mailbox size is less than 100MB).

2009年1月15日 上午 07:46
  •  Edmond Tam wrote:

I already not reboot the server and not update windows 10 months. Because the SMTP service need to manually startup when last update.

Edmond.

The answer is "yes", the page file size will drop, but it doesn't means that the problem can go away.

I am personally not trying to recommend you to decrease the page file size manually.  Actually, the manual option is used under the assumption that you have calculated the pagefile size the system is required, and entered into it to avoid the system adjusting it automatically, not to reduce it to an "insufficient" level... a very simple situation you can imagine: if you have insufficient physical memory, and your page file is not big enough, then what will happen when you need to execute a program that is having a memory footprint exceeding the sum of RAM+pagefile?

If you just want to reduce the pagefile size, your solution will work.  But the drawback penalty can be large.

To adjust the root problem, I still suggest not to make any assumption, and find out why the page file is increasing over time.  It may or may not be an Exchange problem.  For example, you can use performance monitor to capture system memory information via per interval (15-minutes snapshots for example), over a long period (e.g.1 month) to see what can inspire you and lead you to the root cause.

2009年1月17日 下午 06:05
  • If the server memory is 768M and HDD is 36G (remain : 3.8G). Can I manully set pagefile 1024M - 2048M? Thanks...

2009年1月19日 上午 04:27
  •  

Dear customer:

I recommend you to set the value of pagefile to Physical memory + 10 MB.

Hope it helps. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2009年1月19日 上午 11:20
    版主
  • You mean setup 778MB - 778MB if the server install 768MB memory? Can you ask me the reson?

Edmond.

2009年1月19日 下午 04:13
  •  

Dear customer:

Download and run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer. That should tell you everything you need to know.

For more information about Exchange Best Practices Analyzer, please refer to the previous post.

Hope it helps.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2009年1月20日 上午 01:17
    版主