Fail to disable windows server 2008 password complexity RRS feed

• 問題

• The option is dim when I go to

1. Click Start > Run, type gpedit.msc > click OK
    2. Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Account Policies > Password Policy

3. The option for disable "Password must meet complexity requirement" is dim

Please advise.

Thanks.

Tom

2008年10月30日 上午 08:34

解答

• Dear Customer,

After reading your post, I still have a few questions not very clear. Please let me know some information as below:

1.  Is this server a DC, member or standalone?

There are many causes why a policy is not applied, so I suggest you may refer to the following steps to narrow down the root cause of this issue:

1. Check the problematic client to see whether other policies in your domain have been applied.  If the client is XP, you may run "rsop.msc" (without quotation marks) to check; if the client is Win2000 or XP, you may use GPRESULT tool.  For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:

HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Results Tool in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321709

2. Check whether the policy has been applied on other client computers in the same office.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年10月31日 上午 08:55
    版主

所有回覆

• I would like to make sure your Windows Server 2008 is:

a. A standalone server in a workgroup; or

b. A member server in a domain; or

c. A DC in a domain?

2008年10月30日 下午 01:13
  • 1. If your server is domain member server, it may be affected by the domian policy

2. After you modify the GPO, Do you reboot or run gpupdate?

3. you can run "rsop.msc" to view which account policy to take effect on your machine.

2008年10月31日 上午 01:50
  • Dear Customer,

After reading your post, I still have a few questions not very clear. Please let me know some information as below:

1.  Is this server a DC, member or standalone?

There are many causes why a policy is not applied, so I suggest you may refer to the following steps to narrow down the root cause of this issue:

1. Check the problematic client to see whether other policies in your domain have been applied.  If the client is XP, you may run "rsop.msc" (without quotation marks) to check; if the client is Win2000 or XP, you may use GPRESULT tool.  For more information, please refer to the following Microsoft Web site:

HOW TO: Use the Group Policy Results Tool in Windows 2000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321709

2. Check whether the policy has been applied on other client computers in the same office.

I appreciate your time and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年10月31日 上午 08:55
    版主
  • Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Tom Zhang

2008年11月3日 上午 01:33
    版主
  • Dear all,

This is a primary domain controller.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Tom

2008年11月3日 上午 08:05