Empty Design View for all ASPX in my project suddenly RRS feed

• 問題

•  

I'm using VS2008 now. One of a project which was migrated from version 2003 getting problem now. (It was no problem few days ago even after migration).

When I open any .aspx pages and .ascx pages, it just open in Code View. When I switch to Design view or Split view, the design view just all empty. I cannot see my screen at all. But I have no problem when running the page in IE

I try pull a control from the Toolbox to the screen, the cursor become "Deny" sign and nothing can be added on it.

I try created a simple new web form, without Master page, code as below, still empty in design vew. But using IE I can see the page with the "try" and Testing" word on the screen.

Code Snippet

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="WebForm2.aspx.cs" Inherits="HRemployee.WebForm2" %>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Untitled Page</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    try
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <div>
            Testing
        </div>
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

Can anyone help me?

2008年7月10日 上午 04:29

解答

• It is a bit odd if the Design View have no problem when it is running under Visual Studio Development Server but having problem when it is with IIS.

Since you have mention that you are migrating the web applpication from VS2003 to VS2008 and found this error. I think that you are converting the Web Application Project of VS2003 into Web Site of VS2008.

I want you to try the following and tell us the result.

1) Try to create new Web Application Project directly in VS2008, see the webform1.aspx is working properly in Design View.

2) Try to create new Web Site directly in VS2008, see the webform1.aspx is working properly in Design View.

P.S.

a) Web Site is bring into VS since VS2005 or .NET Framework 2.0

b) Visual Studio Development Server is a running process and it could allow you run the web site or web application locally without installing IIS locally. It is also bring to VS since VS2005.

It is difference than the "development server" you mention. The "development Server" you mention, you should be meaning that there is one secondary IIS Server rather than production IIS or local IIS for you to host the application and try to browse the web page, am I right?

2008年7月30日 上午 02:52

所有回覆

• Hi ChingB,

Are you creating ASP.NET 3.5 or 2.0 app? This issue may related to the rendering of style tag in designer view, please see this blog and the workaround: http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2008/04/27/workaround-empty-design-view-for-user-controls.aspx

Regards,

Colt

2008年7月10日 上午 06:43
  •  Colt Kwong wrote:

Hi ChingB,

Are you creating ASP.NET 3.5 or 2.0 app? This issue may related to the rendering of style tag in designer view, please see this blog and the workaround: http://blogs.msdn.com/webdevtools/archive/2008/04/27/workaround-empty-design-view-for-user-controls.aspx

Regards,

Colt

I've surf the net and already read this blog article before my post.

But even I create a simple web form, without Master page, without Style Sheet linking, same problem. Please read the codes in my initial post.

I'm very new to VS2008, we are using VS.Net 2003 for years. I guess I'm creating ASP.NET 3.5, from the web.config, I see this line, can this prove my version?

<add assembly="System.Core, Version=3.5.0.0, ...

Thanks for your lindly reply. Please keep help me find what's the problem...

2008年7月10日 上午 06:55
  • I've tried compare two projects and check the difference in the Project Properties. In the Web section, Servers, I found the failing project is "Use IIS Web Server", while another is "Use Visual Studio Development Server". When I change the failing project to "Use Visual Studio Development Server", my pages can go to Design View now.

Can you tell me what's the purpose of this setting? We have a developement server, we place all our sources in this server and set our local IIS hosting to this server instead of local INETPUB.

2008年7月10日 上午 08:24
  • It is a bit odd if the Design View have no problem when it is running under Visual Studio Development Server but having problem when it is with IIS.

Since you have mention that you are migrating the web applpication from VS2003 to VS2008 and found this error. I think that you are converting the Web Application Project of VS2003 into Web Site of VS2008.

I want you to try the following and tell us the result.

1) Try to create new Web Application Project directly in VS2008, see the webform1.aspx is working properly in Design View.

2) Try to create new Web Site directly in VS2008, see the webform1.aspx is working properly in Design View.

P.S.

a) Web Site is bring into VS since VS2005 or .NET Framework 2.0

b) Visual Studio Development Server is a running process and it could allow you run the web site or web application locally without installing IIS locally. It is also bring to VS since VS2005.

It is difference than the "development server" you mention. The "development Server" you mention, you should be meaning that there is one secondary IIS Server rather than production IIS or local IIS for you to host the application and try to browse the web page, am I right?

2008年7月30日 上午 02:52