none
Strange output from message tracking RRS feed

• 問題

• I have a batch of emails sent from a unix host via an Exchange 2003 server to two different external parties.  Say for example the sender are abc@party-a.com and def@party-b.com.  It turns out that 1/4 or 1/3 of emails didn't not get to party-b.com.  Then I do a message tracking for all emails sent to party-a.com and party-b.com.  The result was a bit confused.  For all emails successfully delivered to party-a.com and party-b.com, the tracking results were normal and the left column of the message history look like this:

myexchange2003

|- smtp.party-a.com

|- smtp.party-b.com

For emails failed to delivered to party-b.com, the tracking results on the left column look like this:

myexchange2003

|- smtp.party-a.com

It is so strange that the Exchange server did not even try to deliver the mail to smtp.party-b.com, no NDR, and the server just left nothing for me to troubleshoot.  Seems like I never try to deliver that mail to def@party-b.com at all but I acutally can see def@party-b.com in the recipient list.  Any idea?

Regards,

Tony

2008年9月17日 上午 08:20

解答

•  

Dear customer:

In order to better troubleshoot the issue, please help collect the following information:

1.       Post the complete NDR to the forum for analyze,

2.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and delete it,

3.       Set all categories under MSExchangeTransport component log level to maximum, for more information about how to do that, please refer to the following article:

How to troubleshoot for Exchange Server 2003 transport issues

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821910

4.       Enable message tracking according to the following steps:

a)            Start Exchange System Manager.

b)            Expand Servers, right-click the server that you want to use message tracking on, and then click Properties. 

c)            On the General tab, click to select the Enable message tracking check box.

This option logs information about the sender, the time the message was sent or received, the message size and priority, and the message recipients. 

d)            In the Exchange System Manager Dialog box, click OK.

e)            To record the subject of any message sent to, from, or through the server, click to select the Enable Subject Logging and Display check box. 

f)             Please let me know the names of sender and recipient.

5.       Create a new mailbox user and configure a MAPI profile, use the new user send e-mail to name@innovage.net,

6.       Send the latest message tracking log to v-rocwan@microsoft.com for analyze.

7.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and send it to me.

Note: when you send e-mail to me, please add the subject of the post.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年9月23日 下午 12:46
    版主

所有回覆

• Dear customer:

Does your Exchange server 2003 send external email via the UNIX smart host?

In order to better troubleshoot the issue, please help collect the following information:

1.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and delete it,

2.       Set all categories under MSExchangeTransport component log level to maximum, for more information about how to do that, please refer to the following article:

3.       Enable message tracking according to the following steps:

a)      Start Exchange System Manager.

b)      Expand Servers, right-click the server that you want to use message tracking on, and then click Properties. 

c)       On the General tab, click to select the Enable message tracking check box.

This option logs information about the sender, the time the message was sent or received, the message size and priority, and the message recipients. 

d)      In the Exchange System Manager dialog box, click OK.

e)      To record the subject of any message sent to, from, or through the server, click to select the Enable Subject Logging and Display check box. 

f)       Please let me know the names of sender and recipient.

4.       Reproduce the issue and send the latest message tracking log tov-rocwan@microsoft.com for analyze.

5.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and send it to me.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年9月18日 上午 06:37
    版主
  •  

Hi Rock,

I just sent you an email but bounced back with the following message

<tov-rocwan@microsoft.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied>.

Do you have other email address I could try?

Regards,

Tony

2008年9月18日 上午 09:57
  • Dear customer:

Sorry for inconvenience, my e-mail address is v-rocwan@microsoft.com.

Please send it again.

Note: when you send e-mail to me, please let me know the subject of the post.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年9月19日 上午 02:24
    版主
  •  

Dear customer:

1.       Post the complete NDR to the forum for analyze,

2.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and delete it,

3.       Set all categories under MSExchangeTransport component log level to maximum, for more information about how to do that, please refer to the following article:

4.       Enable message tracking according to the following steps:

a)            Start Exchange System Manager.

b)            Expand Servers, right-click the server that you want to use message tracking on, and then click Properties. 

c)            On the General tab, click to select the Enable message tracking check box.

d)            In the Exchange System Manager Dialog box, click OK.

e)            To record the subject of any message sent to, from, or through the server, click to select the Enable Subject Logging and Display check box. 

f)             Please let me know the names of sender and recipient.

5.       Create a new mailbox user and configure a MAPI profile, use the new user send e-mail to name@innovage.net,

6.       Send the latest message tracking log to v-rocwan@microsoft.com for analyze.

7.       Open Event Viewer, navigate to application, save the log as .evt file and send it to me.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年9月23日 下午 12:46
    版主