windows 2000 change computer name serious problem RRS feed

• 問題

• dear all,

I'm using windows 2000 server,

1. I right-click my computer on the desktop of windows 2000

2. Click the network identification tab>properties

3. Then i would like to change computer name from xyz to abc

4. Then it prompts up an entry for me to type in the username and password. I plugin the administrator one

5. It said the account exists

Thereby, i have no way to change it to abc for the computer name. How can i change from xyz to abc as well?

thanks

Mr. pete

2008年4月30日 上午 09:41

解答

• I mean, Do you get any result from searching the computer "xyz" in your domain from ADUC's Find dialog.

You cannot change the computer from "abc" into "xyz" if there is already an existing Computer "xyz", so you have to find it out and delete the old "xyz" computer account.

2008年5月2日 上午 11:07

所有回覆

• From your point 5, You mean the message is saying "Account exists" or "Account not exists"?

If it said "Account exists", may be there is already a Domain Computer called xyz, so you cannot create it. You could open "Active Directory Users and Computers" from the Admin tools to see or find if this Computer Account is already exists in the network.

If it said "Account not exists", may be you are entering wrong Domain Administrator Username or password.

2008年4月30日 上午 09:50
  •  

Dear  MS MVP KENLIN,

As it was 'account exists', Let say xyz computer name account exists. Can i changed it in the active directory users and computers from the admin tools. How can i cahgne the computer name of xyz to abc if computer name of xyz do exists.

thanks

hot p

2008年5月1日 下午 05:09
  •  

Dear MS MVP KENLIN,

If i using windows 2000 server, i go to run>mmc there is no active directory when i tried to click the add/remove SNAP IN. THen i tried to add the select item, there is no active directory. How can i find the active directory by command or

other methodology.

thanks to let me know

2008年5月2日 上午 02:32
  •  hotp 寫信:

Dear MS MVP KENLIN,

If i using windows 2000 server, i go to run>mmc there is no active directory when i tried to click the add/remove SNAP IN. THen i tried to add the select item, there is no active directory. How can i find the active directory by command or other methodology.

thanks to let me know

Is your network domain based?

If yes, How many Domain controllers you have in your network?
    You may also go back to the Domain Controller to open the ADUC(Active Domain Users and Computers) mmc. Or you can install Windows 2000 Administration Tools to the Win2000 member server,

How To Install the Active Directory Administrative Tools to Windows 2000 Professional

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308196

hotp 寫信:

As it was 'account exists', Let say xyz computer name account exists. Can i changed it in the active directory users and computers from the admin tools. How can i cahgne the computer name of xyz to abc if computer name of xyz do exists.

If there is already a computer account named xyz, why you would like to add another computer account with same name? If you think that there is mistake which this old xyz does not ever exist, Or the old xyz is not existing. Then you could delete the old xyz computer account first in ADUC. And then changing the name of abc computer into xyz in order to let windows to create the xyz computer account for you.

2008年5月2日 上午 04:55
  •  

Dear ms mvp,

I went to admin server, and i went to active directory users and computers, there is no way for me to change

abc to xyz for the computer name. Also, the computer name for xyz when i tried to network identification under

my computer's properties and typed 'xyz', it said 'account exists'. In the active directory, the answer is no xyz account

can be found. So, strange!.

How to resolve it?

thanks

hotp

2008年5月2日 上午 07:06
  •  

In ADUC, please click "Action-->Find". In the Find dialog, change the [Find]'s value from [Users, Contacts, Groups] into [Computers], and type the target computer name in the [Name]. See if you could find it. Please make sure that the domain in the [In] is the target domain too.

2008年5月2日 上午 08:42
  • Dear ms mvp,

I can view abc of the computer name that unable to change to xyz at the admin server active directory.

However, at active directory still unable to change  the abc of the computer name, there are domain controllor for

admin, file server, backup. Others only some professional server for other purpose with some application as well.

thanks

2008年5月2日 上午 09:45
  • I mean, Do you get any result from searching the computer "xyz" in your domain from ADUC's Find dialog.

You cannot change the computer from "abc" into "xyz" if there is already an existing Computer "xyz", so you have to find it out and delete the old "xyz" computer account.

2008年5月2日 上午 11:07