How to transfer Network Printer from 2000 server to 2003 server ? RRS feed

• 問題

• I 'm using windows server 2000, all the printer is connected by the jetdirect physically, and all the print job are to monitor by a software that install at windows server 2000 , so all the printer will be set up to network printer in the server, and all the user must be map the printer through the server. Now, I have are new 2003 server and i want to transfer 2000 server Printer to 2003 server. But don't influence all Client PC.

How can i make it ?

Thanks all

2009年1月23日 上午 04:10

解答

• Dear Customer,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my research, for printer migration from NT4 to Windows 2000 system we can use a tool named “Printer Migrator” utility from W2K Resource Kit.
    Detail steps please refer to the article below:

How to migrate a printer server configuration between Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 computers with the Printer Migrator 2000 Tool
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315983/en-us>

The latest version can be obtained in the below link:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B9F2925-CBC9-44DA-B2C9-FFDBC46B0B17&displaylang=en>

However, it’s not recommended because the kernel architecture differs a lot from NT4 to W2K.Even we can use the tool to migrate the registry and driver, it is NOT guaranteed that the driver will work on the Windows 2000 system. The recommended is to test and install the printer driver specific for W2K system.

Hope the above information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2009年1月23日 上午 09:22
    版主

所有回覆

• Because you are sharing the printer through the Server 2000, so the client actually are connecting \\server2000_name\printer_name, if you are moving them to Server 2003, except that you could use the same server name in win2003, otherwise, you may have to try to re-configure all the printer in client side by changing from \\server2000_name\printer_name into \\server2003_name\printer_name

2009年1月23日 上午 06:35
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for your post.

Based on my research, for printer migration from NT4 to Windows 2000 system we can use a tool named “Printer Migrator” utility from W2K Resource Kit.
    Detail steps please refer to the article below:

How to migrate a printer server configuration between Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 2000 computers with the Printer Migrator 2000 Tool
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315983/en-us>

The latest version can be obtained in the below link:
    <http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9B9F2925-CBC9-44DA-B2C9-FFDBC46B0B17&displaylang=en>

However, it’s not recommended because the kernel architecture differs a lot from NT4 to W2K.Even we can use the tool to migrate the registry and driver, it is NOT guaranteed that the driver will work on the Windows 2000 system. The recommended is to test and install the printer driver specific for W2K system.

Hope the above information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am happy to be of assistance.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2009年1月23日 上午 09:22
    版主
  •  

Or you install all printers driver to new Windows 2003 server and add use login to delete and add print queue for all clients:-

E.g.

Delete print queue:-

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /dn /n \\w2000\printer1

Add print queue:-

rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry /in /n \\w2003\printer1

2009年1月23日 上午 09:24
  • Dear Customer,

I just wanted to say hi, and to see how things are going. I haven't heard back from you yet and I was wondering if there are any updates on the service request.

Thanks.

Sincerely

Tom Zhang

2009年1月26日 上午 09:08
    版主