Windows 2008 server files sharing problem RRS feed

• 問題

• Hi,

i have a problem with files sharing on windows 2008 server.

case: windows 2008 server settings is just a normal files server without active directory and is configure as workgroup.

Previously it runs fine, in a situation when user goes into the server (example: \\server) there will be a log in sccreen prompt up for them to key in the username and password.

Problem happens last week where the user able to go into the shared folder without any login prompt, and when they tried to access to their own shared folder it says "Access Denied"

How would I be able to bring back the login prompt again for the user to log in.

Many thanks for your support.

Simon

2008年11月5日 上午 06:49

解答

• Dear Customer,

At this moment, I'd like to suggest you try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please check the file share folder permission to see if it is correct.

a. Use administrator account logon.

b. Right click the shared folder to open the Properties dialog.

c. In the Sharing tab, Click permission, Click Add to add the everyone that has permission to this folder.

2. Tried accessing the folder from the a different user on the problematic machine.

3. Please disable the Windows Firewall:

a. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.

b. Click to select off to disable the Windows Firewall.

If there is any third-party firewall software, please also disable it for a test.

More information for reference:
    You may experience various problems when you work with files over the network on a Windows Server 2003-based or Windows 2000 Server-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923360/en-us

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年11月5日 上午 09:15
    版主

所有回覆

• Dear Customer,

At this moment, I'd like to suggest you try the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Please check the file share folder permission to see if it is correct.

a. Use administrator account logon.

b. Right click the shared folder to open the Properties dialog.

c. In the Sharing tab, Click permission, Click Add to add the everyone that has permission to this folder.

2. Tried accessing the folder from the a different user on the problematic machine.

3. Please disable the Windows Firewall:

a. Click Start, click Run, type firewall.cpl, and then click OK.

b. Click to select off to disable the Windows Firewall.

If there is any third-party firewall software, please also disable it for a test.

More information for reference:
    You may experience various problems when you work with files over the network on a Windows Server 2003-based or Windows 2000 Server-based computer
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923360/en-us

I appreciate your time and cooperation. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年11月5日 上午 09:15
    版主
  • Hi Zhang,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I tried the steps that you mention and double confirm on the permission or rights, it is alright.

But the problem is that there isn't any log on prompt for the user to key in their username and password, it went in straight to the page where you can see all the share folder but when user access to the folder it prompts "Access Denied".

Is there a way to bring up the logon prompt or clear the network file sharing memory or cache?

Your advice is much appreciated

Simon 

2008年11月5日 上午 09:38
  • Dear Customer,

Based on my experience, there is no option to force an alternate credential box when this share is accessed. When we access the share folder, there is two brief steps, Authentication and Authorization. If the user pass the authentication and setup the SMB session with the server, the server will check the permission for the user and authorize if he can or can't access the share folder. The credential box only appears in the authentication step. If the SMB session has been setup, we can't alternate another credential. With the current status, I'd like to provide two alternate option to access share with other credential.

I. Map the share folder as a network drive with different credential:
    1. On the client, right click My Computer and select Map Network Drive.
    2. In pop-up, provide the UNC path for the share folder.
    3. Then click "Connect using a different user name.". Then provide the alternate credential.

II. Run as with alternate credential:
    1. On the client, click All Programs --> Accessories --> Windows Explorer.
    2. Right click and select Run as.
    3. In pop-up, provide the alternate credential and click OK. The Explorer will be running under the alternate credential, try access the share folder and nsure the issue has been resolved.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know. I will be glad to help.

I look forward to your reply.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang

2008年11月25日 上午 06:58
    版主