none
Exchange server 2003 - Public folder permission problem RRS feed

• 問題

• Dear All,

When user delete contact in Public Folder, below problem occur.

Operation System:
    - Windows server 2003 , Exchange server 2003 , Outlook 2003  (Both installed SP) and Web Outlook (OWA)
    - Old server dead, so we install new windows 2003 in new server, recreate the AD and restore the mail store from old server backup.
    - We reconnect the new created AD user to their old email box and puge the old user account.

Situation:
    - After restore an old email store (Private and Public). User can delete their own contact in Public Folder. 
    But they cannot delete the contact if it created by other user. Even if aministrator also cannot delete.

- The error is: Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or access was denied.

- And then, i try to copy the contact folder and paste in other directory (Also in Public Folder).
    After that, i can delete any contact by administrator account. But other user still cannot.

- So i try to do same thing by other user in Outlook. The result is that user can delete any contact but other user cannot (Included Administrator).

- I have double check and update the Permission, Directory Right and Administrator Right of that Contact Folder. Just add the user with full control right.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Raymond
    2008年11月20日 上午 02:44

解答

• Dear customer:

Please send the complete screenshot of the contact to me for analyze.

Do you want to delete test-contacts folder or an e-mail which is resides in this folder?

Let me know the exact account name that you use to delete the test-contacts folder. Did the account belong to Exchange full administrator group? open ESM, right click your organization name, select delegate control, click next, send the screenshot of the error to me for analyze.

For more information about Exchange public folder permission, you can review the “Special Considerations for Working with Client Permissions” section in following article:

Working with Public Folder and Mailbox Permissions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996122(EXCHG.65).aspx

Note: when you send e-mail to me, please let me know the subject of the post.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年11月26日 上午 07:11
    版主

所有回覆

• Dear customer:

In order to better troubleshoot the issue, please help collect the following information:

1.       Did the account that you use belong to Exchange full administrator?

2.       Check whether the public folder is MAPI public folder or general-purpose public folder?

3.       The error is: Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or access was denied. Send the screenshot of the error to v-rocwan@microsoft.com for further analyze.

4.       How do you create contact in the public folder? Please describe the whole process.

5.       open ESM, navigate to the public folder which include the contact, right click it and select properties, click permissions, click directory rights, send the screenshot it to me, click administrative right, send the screenshot it to me, click client permission, send the screenshot it to me.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年11月21日 上午 07:09
    版主
  • Dear Mr. Rock,

I have send email to you in 24 Nov 2008. 

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Raymond
    2008年11月24日 上午 08:22
  • Dear customer:

Please send the complete screenshot of the contact to me for analyze.

Do you want to delete test-contacts folder or an e-mail which is resides in this folder?

Let me know the exact account name that you use to delete the test-contacts folder. Did the account belong to Exchange full administrator group? open ESM, right click your organization name, select delegate control, click next, send the screenshot of the error to me for analyze.

For more information about Exchange public folder permission, you can review the “Special Considerations for Working with Client Permissions” section in following article:

Working with Public Folder and Mailbox Permissions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996122(EXCHG.65).aspx

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年11月26日 上午 07:11
    版主
  • Dear customer:

Please help collect the above information and send it to me, thus we can give you more help.

Rock Wang -MSFT

2008年11月27日 上午 07:48
    版主
  • Dear Sir,

My administrator account is Exchange Full Admin.

And i have upgrade the normal user account (i.e. "User A") to Exchange Full Admin for testing.

User A still cannot delete the contact which created by "User B".  Which User B is not a valid user account in AD already.

But User A can delete the contact created by "Exisitng AD User"

I would like to delete the old contact under "Testing-contact" in Outlook client side.

p.s. I have email another screen cap to you recently. Please let me know if cannot received."

Thank you very much.

Best regards,
    Raymond
    2008年11月27日 上午 09:09
  • Dear customer:

Did you want to delete DCL contacts folder or not? Please let me know the exactly name of the folder that you want to delete.

What is the relationship between DCL contacts and test-contacts?

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年12月8日 上午 08:05
    版主
  • Dear Sir,

I just need to delete a contact which inside "DCL - Contact".  The testing folder is clone by "DCL - Contact".

The problem is
    - If i make a copy of the contact folder, only me can delete anything in that clone-ed folder.
    - It ignore the "delete" setting in client permission
    - No effect after assign "Exchange admin" right to user.

Can we reset the permission, ownership of public folder and it's item.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    Raymond

2008年12月8日 上午 08:30
  • Dear Sir,

How about below solution?

In Outlook 2003, use the normal user (Not admin, standard AD user)
    - Copy the public folder to Local folder
    - Export that folder to excel (Because i can't export the public folder)
    - Import the excel back to Local folder
    - Copy the local folder to public folder

In Exchange 2003
    - Assign client permission by ESM

But i don't know will the attributes missing while import the Excel to Outlook

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Raymond
    2008年12月9日 上午 03:07
  • Dear customer:

Please help collect the following information:

1.       Open Event Viewer, right click application, save it as .evt file and send it to me.

2.       Download and install Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=DBAB201F-4BEE-4943-AC22-E2DDBD258DF3&displaylang=en

3.       Log on the computer as Domain Administrator.

4.       Click Start, and then click Run.

5.       In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.

6.       In the command window, locate the directory where Exchange Server Best Practices Analyzer Tool is installed. By default, the directory is C:\Program Files\ExBPA.

7.       Type exbpacmd.exe in the command line; and ExBPA begins to examine the server deployment and configuration.

8.        Wait until ExBPA finishes its examination and shows you the directory where the output xml and log files are located.

9.       Copy the output xml and log files from the locations shown on the screen and send it to v-rocwan@microsoft.com.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年12月9日 上午 07:02
    版主
  • Dear Sir,

I will try this asap.  Because some user are updating the public contact.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Raymond
    2008年12月9日 上午 07:13
  • Dear customer:

1.       Please download PFDAVAdmin tool from the following link, and save it to a directory of your choice, After you start PFDAVAdmin, you must connect to an Exchange server before you can do any tasks. When you click File from the PFDAVAdmin main menu and then click Connect, Enter the appropriate information, and then select public folder, and then click OK.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en&displaylang=en

2.       Expand public folder, navigate to the DCL – Contact folder, right click it and select Check DACL state, click yes, send the screenshot of the result to me for analyze.

Rock Wang - MSFT

2008年12月9日 上午 08:58
    版主