shadow copy problem RRS feed

• 問題

• Dear Sir / Madam,

We are using the Window Enterprise 2003 server 64 bit with the shadow copy function for certain drive. Can we only enable this function only for the local administrators only ?

We do not want the user to see the shadow copy button but we want to enjoy the snapshot features for the system administrator of quick restore purpose. Can we do that ? 

Thanks for help !!

2011年1月5日 上午 04:44

解答

• Dear Customer,

Based on my research, we can not limit user see the shadow copy button in the system.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Sincerely,
    Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    2011年1月11日 上午 09:25
    版主
  • Dear Sir / Madam,

We are using the Window Enterprise 2003 server 64 bit with the shadow copy function for certain drive. Can we only enable this function only for the local administrators only ?

We do not want the user to see the shadow copy button but we want to enjoy the snapshot features for the system administrator of quick restore purpose. Can we do that ? 

Thanks for help !!

Dear Sir / Madam.

May I have the answer, please ? We just want the fact whether is "Can"  or "Cannot"...Many thankls.!!

Shadow Copy Service is per Volumn, it is not per User based. So once you enable it, it will be running the service based on Partition. You cannot just enable it for administrator and disable it for user.

But there is one way to apply this, say there are 2 seperate volumn other than System volumn. You set security and so Volumn 1 is administrator access only, and volumn 2 is used for Users. Volumn 0 is the system volumn. And then you apply Shadow Volumn Service to the Volumn 1, the rest disable it. Then it is similar to what you want.

大家一齊探討、學習和研究,謝謝!
    Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Community Star(TW & HK), MCT,
    MCSD, MCAD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCPD
    2011年1月14日 上午 06:06

所有回覆

• Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for help !!

Dear Sir / Madam.

May I have the answer, please ? We just want the fact whether is "Can"  or "Cannot"...Many thankls.!!

2011年1月7日 上午 03:24
  • Dear Customer,

Based on my research, we can not limit user see the shadow copy button in the system.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know. I am happy to be of further assistance. 

Sincerely,
    Tom Zhang

Tom Zhang – MSFT
    2011年1月11日 上午 09:25
    版主
  • Dear Tom,

So, if we can not limit user see the shadow copy button in the system.

Inversely, can we only enable shadow copy only for the local administrators ? 

2011年1月13日 上午 03:08
  • Any updates for this issue..please ?

2011年1月14日 上午 01:52
  • Dear Sir / Madam,

Thanks for help !!

Dear Sir / Madam.

Shadow Copy Service is per Volumn, it is not per User based. So once you enable it, it will be running the service based on Partition. You cannot just enable it for administrator and disable it for user.

But there is one way to apply this, say there are 2 seperate volumn other than System volumn. You set security and so Volumn 1 is administrator access only, and volumn 2 is used for Users. Volumn 0 is the system volumn. And then you apply Shadow Volumn Service to the Volumn 1, the rest disable it. Then it is similar to what you want.

大家一齊探討、學習和研究,謝謝!
    Microsoft MVP, Microsoft Community Star(TW & HK), MCT,
    MCSD, MCAD, MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCITP, MCPD
    2011年1月14日 上午 06:06
  • It cannot be applied on our environment as one more partition / disk volume should be reserved for

"Shadow Volume Service ". But anyway thanks for the suggestion !!

2011年1月17日 上午 02:32