New Install server crashed from time to time RRS feed

• 問題

• Hello,

i have a ne install windows 2003 with SP2 sever crashed/bluescreen from time to time. The reseller checked the hardware & replaced some hardwar for test. However, the problem still occurs. the reseller said it i windows problem. Who can help me?

HP DL 380 G5

4GB Ram

147 GB harddisk x2

Usually Stop code 0x80, 0xD1

Windows 2003 with SP2

SQL 2005

2008年6月19日 上午 01:43

解答

• hi, Please make sure your SmartArray card driver & storport drivers updated to latest. it have some know issues on old drivers. Please refer to below HP & Microsoft KB. i hope it can help you.

Advisory: (Revision) ProLiant Server May Blue Screen Running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver (HPCISSS2.SYS) Version 6.6.0 (or earlier) and HP Storage Agent After Applying ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) 7.80

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01102958&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodTypeId=15351

You receive a Stop error message after you install update 932755 or 941276 on an HP ProLiant server that is running Storport in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940015

An updated Storport storage driver is available for Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755

2008年6月19日 上午 02:49
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for your posting.

To detail locate the exact cause of this issue, you may need to contact our PSS to get the dump analyzed.  Before we doing that, you may try the following steps:

It is most probably caused by a third party driver that running in the kernel mode that get the wrong place write.

A third party driver can run in the kernel mode and get accessed to all the address space in the kernel mode.  An incompatible driver is most probably cause to this issue.

Have you recently installed any third party driver like the "USB Universal Reader from Lexar Media, Inc" as mentioned in the article above?  Please uninstall that kind of driver/device and monitor the system for some time to see if the crash reoccurs.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or questions regarding the issue.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang, MCSE 2003

2008年6月19日 上午 10:12
    版主
  •  

Hello,

1. I agree with Tom to locate the root cause may need contact MS PSS for dump analysis.

2. Your server should be still under warranty, you can log call to HP directly. HP should help you identity the cause is it coe from Hardware or drivers. Sometime, HP would help to analsis the dump to identity the cause. HP Support Center at +852-3559-7333

3. HP does not support IDE HD on DL380 G5. therefore, you haven't any offical support for using ID HD. 

Most of HP or any band name server garde machines ,exclude low end model, does not support IDE HD disk. the system ROM does not identity IDE HD.

2008年6月19日 下午 03:25
  • In this case, the only solution is really calling HP. Ask them to check for the compatibility problem and get latest drivers.

Chaub wrote:

Hello,

1. I agree with Tom to locate the root cause may need contact MS PSS for dump analysis.

2. Your server should be still under warranty, you can log call to HP directly. HP should help you identity the cause is it coe from Hardware or drivers. Sometime, HP would help to analsis the dump to identity the cause. HP Support Center at +852-3559-7333

3. HP does not support IDE HD on DL380 G5. therefore, you haven't any offical support for using ID HD. 

Most of HP or any band name server garde machines ,exclude low end model, does not support IDE HD disk. the system ROM does not identity IDE HD.

2008年6月20日 上午 05:02

所有回覆

• Hi, from our side, it is hard to check if your hardware is having problem, so let's test and figure out the problem in another way.

Because of this thread's title, "New Install Server", Could you Format the disk, and clean install Win2003 SP2 into the Hardware, don't try to install other server/service in this stage, ie, SQL2005. And let it run for few days, to see if Crashed or bluescreen would come out, if not, then install the server/service one by one and test for another few days. Until you found out that one server/service installed and crashing the machine or bluescreen come out.

2008年6月19日 上午 02:03
  • hi, Please make sure your SmartArray card driver & storport drivers updated to latest. it have some know issues on old drivers. Please refer to below HP & Microsoft KB. i hope it can help you.

Advisory: (Revision) ProLiant Server May Blue Screen Running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 with ProLiant Smart Array SAS/SATA Controller Driver (HPCISSS2.SYS) Version 6.6.0 (or earlier) and HP Storage Agent After Applying ProLiant Support Pack (PSP) 7.80

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01102958&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=1842750&prodTypeId=15351

You receive a Stop error message after you install update 932755 or 941276 on an HP ProLiant server that is running Storport in Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940015

An updated Storport storage driver is available for Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755

2008年6月19日 上午 02:49
  • I don't think it's a windows problem. I think you should check the driver first.

And, If you do a clean install of W2K3 Sp2 on that server(without RAID, just a normal IDE HD) and DON'T install any software and drivers, will it reboot and crash?

If the crash problem do not appear, the problem should be related to drivers or softwares.

2008年6月19日 上午 07:19
  • Hello

Would you guide me how to install Windows 2003 SP2 without RAID, just a normal IDE HD? the DL380 G5 should not support using IDE HD?   I cannot install additonal IDE HD on machine. Do you have any ideas to test?

And, i rewiewed the HP & Microsoft KB. My problem maybe related to this. i am request the vendor to

consulte HP or Microsoft. Anyway, i would schedule the downtime to update the SmartArray drivers & storport drivers for testing.  

2008年6月19日 上午 09:38
  •  

Hi, 

The reason of using IDE HD is to isolate the on-board disk controller driver problem. You may need to plug a IDE/SATA controller card and attach a HD to it for testing.(But, that server don't have IDE/SATA controller on board??? If so, how do you connect the CD/DVD rom?)

For the KB, I would suggested to get the latest driver. It may solve the problem.

2008年6月19日 上午 10:11
  • Dear Customer,

Thank you for your posting.

To detail locate the exact cause of this issue, you may need to contact our PSS to get the dump analyzed.  Before we doing that, you may try the following steps:

It is most probably caused by a third party driver that running in the kernel mode that get the wrong place write.

A third party driver can run in the kernel mode and get accessed to all the address space in the kernel mode.  An incompatible driver is most probably cause to this issue.

Have you recently installed any third party driver like the "USB Universal Reader from Lexar Media, Inc" as mentioned in the article above?  Please uninstall that kind of driver/device and monitor the system for some time to see if the crash reoccurs.

Hope this helps.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns or questions regarding the issue.

Sincerely,

Tom Zhang, MCSE 2003

2008年6月19日 上午 10:12
    版主
  •  

Hello,

2008年6月19日 下午 03:25
  • Hi Chaub,

Thanks

I logged case to HP and she help to analysis logs & Memory Dump. She said the root cause should be related to SmartArray & Storport drivers. i am planning to upgrade drivers tonight.

2008年6月20日 上午 04:14
  • In this case, the only solution is really calling HP. Ask them to check for the compatibility problem and get latest drivers.

Chaub wrote:

Hello,

2008年6月20日 上午 05:02