Storage Management Service failing RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using the 120 day evaluation version of WHS since Jan and everything has been running well.  However, today after turning the server on I found that the Console failed to open on my desktop.  I use a Remote Desktop session and logged in as Admin, at which point I found a number of error reports stating that Storage Management was not running.  I tried to run a Console on the server and it too reported that the Storage Manager was not running.

The shared folders are working fine but I guess that backup not work either?  I looked at the services and tried manually starting the storage manager but it just reverted very quickly to stopped.

Having looked at two other examples of this I thought it may be something to do with Folder Permissions?  A quick look at the log files showed that the QSM log for today is 4.87 Mb - a little beyond my capabilities but there is obviously a problem here.

How do I sort it?

Saturday, February 9, 2008 3:47 PM

Answers

• The info about the RO & RW groups enabled me to fix the music share which was causing the problem.  I did not need to move the data out - I just opened the properties for the folder and added the correct users.

However, I still have no idea why it happened!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:50 PM

All replies

• First thing I would try in this case is a reboot.

If that doesn't fix you'll have to look in the homeserver logs and eventlogs (Start, run, type eventvwr.msc and hit Enter) and look for errors. The errors there may tell you how to proceed. Often this is not an easy path, so you could also choose to do a server reinstall, this may also take some time, depending on your storage size, however in most cases it's straighforward.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 7:08 AM
  • Thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a couple of reboots and nothing changed.

I did/do intend to buy this at the end of the evaluation period but am beginning to think again!  To be honest I do not want to have to reinstall every time something goes wrong!  From other posts I am wondering if it has something to do with folder permissions.

I will have a look at the logs tonight and see what they show.

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:51 PM
  • I seem to have solved part of the problem:

I looked at the permissions on the Shared Folders and found that the Music folder only had permission for Everyone whilst the other folders had permissions for System, Administrators etc.  I recreated some of them but could not do it for the RO_** and RW_**  as i had no idea what they should be (each folder had a different version as a User).

The Storage Management Service is now running and I can open the Console but there are still 2 things I need answers to:

What should the users RO_ and RW_ be and what permissions should they have?

Why did it happen and why is it so flaky?

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 8:05 PM
  • The RO and RW mostly depend on the indvidual users and the shares you create and the access rights you assign to each folder  / user.

RO and RW specify user groups with Read Only and Read Write access to the WHS shares. Each user can be member of one or more of these groups. If you want to view these groups and the right assigned login to your WHS using RDP (remote desktop) or KVM. Then do Start, Run, type compmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Go to Local users and groups, Groups. This should help you understand how things work.

If the RO / RW groups got messed up somehow it will be difficult to get this right manually. You could try

1. Move all data out of the custom WHS shares you created to a location outside the WHS shares (this can be external hdd, networked computer but also a folder you create outside the WHS shares folder).

2. After backing up your data remove all users, remove all custome folders

3. Reboot

4. In WHS console re-create all folders / user, assign access rights.

5. Move all data back to correct folders in \\shares

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:21 PM
  • The info about the RO & RW groups enabled me to fix the music share which was causing the problem.  I did not need to move the data out - I just opened the properties for the folder and added the correct users.

However, I still have no idea why it happened!

Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:50 PM