none
Windows 7 (Ultimate) System Restore problem

Question

• Hello there,

Ok so here's a little history/context.
    My dev box at home is running Win 7 Ultimate. I had 2 500 GB disks in a RAID 0 configuration.
    A few weeks ago I made a full system backup using the OOTB Windows 7 System backup functionality.
    Last week 1 of my hard disks failed. So, I got 2 new 1TB disks. Configured them into a RAID 0 config and began the system restore from the image I had created a few weeks earlier. The restore took over 48 hrs.
    On completion I found that my machine could not boot into Win 7.
    I ran the automated utility to fix the issues. It reports back to me that it can't fix my issues automatically. When I do some delving I see that the error it is reporting is

MissingOsLoader.

So my questions are:

i) What would anyone who's has a similar experience suggest I do next?
    ii) Does changing the disk I'm restoring the system image to have an effect on the validity of the system image I created?
    iii) I took my machine back to the vendor's shop to ensure there were no other issues. They re-flashed my bios. So, now I have a completely new bios. Would this have any bearing on the validity of the system image?

Thanks and I apologise if my questions are basic and in the wrong section.

'The ArchDeacon' :-)

Monday, June 21, 2010 5:18 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft forum. This forum focuses on Perfmon and diagnostic tools. I am moving your question to the moderator forum ("Where is the forum for..?"). The owner of the forum will direct you to a right forum.

Thanks.

Bruce Adamczak

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:01 PM
  • Try here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, July 16, 2012 11:26 PM
    Owner
  • Generally the system image wont work on the new disks which are larger than the image partition. As system image would write the entire partition according to the previous partition size and formats. so the larger disk may have some unused space left which is odd to the image partition. Also there will be the change in MBR and also change in tracks and sectors.

• Edited by ajaybak Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:34 AM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 9:31 AM