What is the difference between Customization and Configuration in CRM 2011? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Techies,

i want to know the difference between Customization and Configuration in CRM 2011 context.

1. Adding a new attribute

2. Renaming attribute

3. Adding new Option Set options

4. Renaming Option Set Options

5. Changing column length of var char attribute

6. Changing Plugin Logic

7. Changing Workflow Settings

Could any body help me explaining what are customization and configurations among the above.

Thanks in Advance,

Sreeni Pavalla

Monday, January 14, 2013 7:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft don't really distinguish between the two - but anything that can't be done directly using the Crm User interface is considered Extending Crm. So in your lists, item 6 is Extending Crm, the rest are customisations provided you don't include custom workflow activities in 7.

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Monday, January 14, 2013 9:59 PM
    Answerer
  • Many customers consider all changes that don't involve custom development to be "configuration", and anything involving custom development to be "customization", but Microsoft (at least in the titles of the training courses and certification exams) doesn't use these definitions. Microsoft uses the definitions that Scott has outlined.

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Slalom Consulting. Find me on Twitter. Join over 20,000 other CRM professionals on the Microsoft Dynamics CRM group on LinkedIn.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:52 AM
  • According to the Customization course chapter headings:

Fields, Entities, Relationships, Forms, Views, and Charts are Customization.

Business Units, Security Roles, Users, Teams, Field Security, Auditing, and Solutions are Configuration.

The way I consider it is front end user interface changes are customization, and backend admin changes are configuration.

FYI, chapters:

Chapter 1: Configuring Business Units and Security Roles
    Chapter 2: Configuring Users and Teams
    Chapter 3: Customization Overview
    Chapter 4: Customizing Fields
    Chapter 5: Customizing Entities
    Chapter 6: Customizing Relationships and Mappings
    Chapter 7: Customizing Forms, Views, and Charts
    Chapter 8: Configuring Field Security
    Chapter 9: Configuring Auditing
    Chapter 10: Configuring Solutions

Hope that helps

Paul

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 4:50 AM
  • Thank you all for the replies.

Sreeni Pavalla

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:50 AM
  • Hi Paul,

I am confused again after logging into My elearning web site. It says Customizationa and Configuration of Business Units and Security Roles.

Changing Security roles permissions comes under customization or Configuration?

Thanks,

Sreeni Pavalla

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:04 AM
  • Hi Sreeni,

Isn't the "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011: Customization and Configuration" part of that heading the name of the cource (course no 80294) and the "Business Units and Security Roles" a chapter of that course (chapter 1 if it's that course)?

Regards

Rickard Norström Developer CRM-Konsulterna
    http://www.crmkonsulterna.se
    Swedish Dynamics CRM Forum: http://www.crmforum.se
    My Blog: http://rickardnorstrom.blogspot.se

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:57 AM
  • Hi Sreeni,

The thing is that the terms Customization and Configuration are used by Microsoft fairly interchangeably - I find it's useful to think of the following activities as Extending, and everything else is Customization and Configuration:

Extending:

1. Writing Javascrpt in Forms and Webresources

2. Authoring Html webresources

3. Writing Plugins

4. Writing Workflow activties

5. Calling the SDK Webservices

Business Units and Security Roles obviously have a very broad impact - and so you'll find items about this in both Customisations and Extending courses.

I'd say the only ambiguous item is reporting - since this can be done at the high level using the wizard/report designer  - and also at a lower level when writing complex reports.

Scott Durow
    Read my blog: www.develop1.net/public     Follow Me on Twitter
    If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on the post and "Mark as Helpful"

Tuesday, January 15, 2013 1:22 PM
    Answerer